Kittens and Books

My name is Katie, and I am a reader, writer, and book blogger. I read mainly young adult, although sometimes I venture into adult or children's books.

My blog, where I post book discussions, reviews, and the occasional writing-related post, is Kittens and Books.

The Geography of You and Me

The Geography of You and Me - Jennifer E. Smith My reviews can also be found on my blog: http://kittensandbooks.wordpress.com/

Reviewing this book is hard on me, because I’ve read two other books by this author. I love her writing style and the way she tells stories, and that’s a big reason why I didn’t put this down halfway through.

I really enjoyed the first few chapters. We were introduced to Owen and Lucy, who just make such a good couple. They speak easily and the conversations between them were perfect, but then the separation happens.

My real problem is that it happened too soon, I think. They definitely had the start of something, but I’m not sure it was enough. It’s a little unbelievable that they wouldn’t get over each other in the time they were apart, given the fact that they had hardly met.

I also disliked that they didn’t really do anything while apart. Lucy’s relationship with her parents shifted slightly, but I didn’t see a real reason behind it. I’m not sure what changed to make them different, except the move. I did like seeing her mother’s side to that, though.

What I’m trying to say is that the middle dragged on. I didn’t feel the need to pick it up and keep reading, even though I did want to find out what happened. I feel like the plot went in a couple circles, and that there was a lot of filler. Although it was the main plot of the book, I do feel the whole long-distance thing is what ruined the story.

That said, the descriptions were great. Like I said before, I love the writing style. I adored the characters, too. It’s just the plot that could have used some work.

The end gave another half star to the rating, because I do like the way things turned out. Once Owen and Lucy started meeting again, the plot seemed to pick up nicely and I really enjoyed reading the conclusion of their story.